Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICAS WOES

Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JLV
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICAS WOES Reply with quote
Charley Reese has been a journalist for 49 years, reporting on everything from sports to politics. From 1969-71, he worked as a campaign staffer for gubernatorial, senatorial and congressional races

in several states. He was an editor, assistant to the publisher, and columnist for the Orlando Sentinel from 1971 to 2001. He now writes a syndicated column which is carried on LewRockwell.com. Reese served two years active duty in the U.S. Army as a tank gunner.

THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICA'S WOES

BY CHARLEY REESE

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy.

Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 300 million - are directly, legally, morally and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered but private central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman or a president to do one cotton- picking thing.

I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it.

No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

A CONFIDENCE CONSPIRACY

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a SPEAKER, who stood up and criticized G.W. BUSH for creating deficits.

The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it. The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes.

Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow Democrats, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto.

REPLACE THE SCOUNDRELS

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts - of incompetence and irresponsibility.

I can't think of a single domestic problem, from an unfair tax code to defense overruns, that is not traceable directly to those 545 people.

When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair. If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red. If the Marines are in IRAQ, it's because they want them in IRAQ.

There are no insoluble government problems. Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exist disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation" or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible. They, and they alone, have the power. They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees. We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess.
Turk
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very well put JLV
We need more people like ron paul in congress
Turk
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So true these people should all be replaced this next election
and supreme court justces need to get impeached from time to time to keep the rest of them honest
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICAS WOES Reply with quote
Amen.

Here is the scoop tho. One party is willing to make real structural changes to govt. One party is always standing in the way. The GOP is not all good. The Dems are not all bad. But the GOP has proposed real change that can work. The dems have ONLY proposed an increase to our current govt. So the blame for this is squarely in the democratic camp.

Face the music libs....why do you want to grow this govt and give those 545 people more power and more money?
Toxic
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What "real change" had the GOP made in the 12 years it had in power? You blather on and on about how the Republicans are not totally good but they are going to do something... but when in the hell are they going to do something? After the next election, now that they realize the Democrats aren't just dogs to kick under the table?
Turk
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They have proven to be dogs to kick under the table
they are the majority yet they cave to the gop and the president when they hold the keys
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICAS WOES Reply with quote
cornopean wrote:
Amen.

Here is the scoop tho. One party is willing to make real structural changes to govt. One party is always standing in the way. The GOP is not all good. The Dems are not all bad. But the GOP has proposed real change that can work. The dems have ONLY proposed an increase to our current govt. So the blame for this is squarely in the democratic camp.

Face the music libs....why do you want to grow this govt and give those 545 people more power and more money?

How pathetic. Just like a 'pub to screw things up and then blame someone else. You, Corno, are that epitome - taking no responsibility for your own life whatsoever. Damn, talk about playing the victim.
Turk
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the conservatives of the gop need mccain to lose the election, that will send the rest of the neocon majority a message
we dont want neocons representing us in washington
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turk wrote:
Well the conservatives of the gop need mccain to lose the election, that will send the rest of the neocon majority a message
we dont want neocons representing us in washington

One of those rare moments, Turk, where we agree. We have had enough of neocon control in washington.
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: THE 545 PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR AMERICAS WOES Reply with quote
fellfire wrote:
How pathetic. Just like a 'pub to screw things up and then blame someone else. You, Corno, are that epitome - taking no responsibility for your own life whatsoever. Damn, talk about playing the victim.

I think it is about 5th grade thinking to believe that whatever party is in control bears the blame for the health of the economy. dont you think the laws passed has something to do with it?

If we are going to talk about blame, we need to talk about policies.

1. Who passed the tax cuts that brot this economy out of a recession and caused it to withstand Katrina and 9-11?

2. Who suggested a law that would have put millions of more Americans on the public dole (i.e. SCHIP)?

3. Who vetoed that law?

4. Who wants to lower the corporate income tax rate so we can see the kind of growth Ireland, Iceland, and Hong Kong are seeing?

5. Who wants to pass comprehensive tax reform so we can simplify the tax code and eliminate the perverse incentives?

6. Who wants to give the govt an even greater role in how this nation provides health care?

I trust that answering those questions will go along way toward assigning blame for our current economic woes. and the GOP is NOT off the hook for this. but right now, they are the only ones with credible ideas to change things for the better.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There you go again Corny ... you have just given the 'pubs credit for "bringing the economy out of the recession" and "withstanding Katrina and 9-11" while in office, but you placed blame for the current floundering economy (0.6% growth last quarter) on the Dems, while the 'Pubs are in office. Like I said before, typical 'Pub, wants to take all the credit but then tries to sluff off the blame, whining all the time about being picked on.

Blame for our current economic woes lies squarely on the party that had control of the Purse and the Power - that is the Republican Party. They have been in control of the Congress and/or the White House for nearly a decade and here we are ... lets not forget the size of the deficit going into the Bush Presidency.
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
fellfire wrote:
There you go again Corny ... you have just given the 'pubs credit for "bringing the economy out of the recession" and "withstanding Katrina and 9-11" while in office, but you placed blame for the current floundering economy (0.6% growth last quarter) on the Dems, while the 'Pubs are in office. Like I said before, typical 'Pub, wants to take all the credit but then tries to sluff off the blame, whining all the time about being picked on.

sir...I am laboring (but failing) to get you to realize that I could care less who is in office. The guy who sits in the oval office is utterly irrelevant. if we are going to assign blame for this country's woes, you and I can agree that it is POLICIES that have to be examined.

Like I said, it is fifth grade thinking that thinks that if the economy booms, it's the president's fault. If it crashes, it is the president's fault. I love how people say things happened "on so and so's watch". !!!Smile that is so silly.

Quote:
Blame for our current economic woes lies squarely on the party that had control of the Purse and the Power - that is the Republican Party. They have been in control of the Congress and/or the White House for nearly a decade and here we are ... lets not forget the size of the deficit going into the Bush Presidency.

ok...well here is our disagreement. you think that the party in control must take responsibility for the economies health. I think the health of an economy depends on the policies that are in place at that time. and the party that advocates those polices is to blame.

libs always want to avoid a discussion like that. Smile
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cornopean wrote:
Quote:

ok...well here is our disagreement. you think that the party in control must take responsibility for the economies health. I think the health of an economy depends on the policies that are in place at that time. and the party that advocates those polices is to blame.

libs always want to avoid a discussion like that. Smile

You started this discussion by blaming the democrats for the economy. Which is not surprising coming from you because you have a tendency to ignore reality and focus on your belief. The cons have been in office long enough so that the policies that are in place that have brought use to the current economic woes are the conservatives policies. Those policies that we have now are Republican Policies (Bush has vetoed all other policies) and, we agree that these policies (conservatives policies), are to blame for the economy.

In your last response, you handed credit for the resiliance of the economy to the 'pubs. But here you are, AGAIN, handing blame to those who have been least able to affect the policies - the party NOT in power. You really need to explain how the conservatives are not responsible for the economic policies of the past 7 years.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Toxic wrote:
What "real change" had the GOP made in the 12 years it had in power?

I wonder whether you just don't know or you just want to pretend not to because it suits you to do so. Question
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
fellfire wrote:
You started this discussion by blaming the democrats for the economy.

true.

Quote:

The cons have been in office long enough so that the policies that are in place that have brought us to the current economic woes are the conservatives policies. Those policies that we have now are Republican Policies (Bush has vetoed all other policies) and, we agree that these policies (conservatives policies), are to blame for the economy.

I disagree. The major spending programs that are bankrupting this country are Social Security and Medicare. Both are democrat programs that cons want to fix or eliminate. Democrats insist that neither of these programs are a problem.
The current energy crisis is the result of environmentalists refusal to allow oil drilling in the US. these environmentalists are overwhelmingly supported by the left.
the current housing crisis is probably due to a Fed which left rates too low and hence encouraged reckless spending. since the Fed was stocked with cons most of the time, this counts in your favor.
But the fact that FDR created the FDIC is also a reason for the current crisis. when banks are ensured by the Federal govt, they are far less cautious about making loans. so the democrats get the blame for this one as well. altho I don't hear too many pubs suggesting we eliminate the FDIC.

Quote:
In your last response, you handed credit for the resilience of the economy to the 'pubs. But here you are, AGAIN, handing blame to those who have been least able to affect the policies - the party NOT in power. You really need to explain how the conservatives are not responsible for the economic policies of the past 7 years.

I believe the Bush tax cuts staved off what would have been a more severe recession after Clinton's tax hikes.
Beyond the Bush tax cuts, what other major economic legislation was passed in the last 7 years?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6